I have well over 150 apps on my iPhone and iPad. Although, you may ask, how many do I really use? The answer: about a dozen. I’ve been using apps on Apple IOS devices for about eight years. I consider myself a software explorer and I’ve tried hundreds of different apps – some with the same purpose. For example, to find a solution for the best word processing app on my mobile devices, I’ve tried Apple Pages, Microsoft Word, and Google Docs. After more than a few attempts to find the perfect word processing app (by the way, there is no such thing), I’ve found the one that is “perfect” for me.
Over my lifetime of computing (since 1978), I’ve tried to find the perfect journaling software application for both “regular” computers (Mac and PC’s – desktops and laptops) and “mobile” communicators (IOS, Droid, and other smartphones and tablets). I love to record day-to-day events, as well as life, and, of course, traveling experiences. Although my diary (i.e., journal) contains my personal thoughts and pictures, I’m not too worried about security; yet I still employ a simple security system.
Here is what I look for in a journaling software application:
1. The same basic software features in both versions (traditional computer and mobile computer)
2. A graphical look and feel to the user interface, as well as what I can record and save on the application. I’m a visual person. I love photos, videos, and a certain look and style to my stuff.
3. Easy, nearly automatic, journaling. “Click” a button, add some words and photos, save, share, back-up, done.
4. Security that is safe and reliable, while not requiring a lot of effort to access my stuff.
5. The ability to share my journal entries with others, (via email, Twitter, Facebook, or messages) or, rather, to keep them entirely private.
My absolute favorite journaling software program (App) is DAY ONE Journal 2 by Bloom Built, LLC. Here is a link to their website: DAY ONE Journal Web Site Home Page
Bloom Built, LLC released its latest version, DAY ONE Journal 2, just a few weeks ago and it is a standout! Here’s why:
• Extremely graphical. You have the ability to associate up to ten photos with any journal entry. You can take photos within the app or add them from your photos library.
• Excellent entry security. Use a four digit pin, or use the iPhone/iPad fingerprint sensor.
• Journal entries can be GPS location-based. Use the associated photograph GPS or your physical location at the moment. There is a map icon that shows you where all of your entries have been made. This is incredibly useful if you travel often.
• Entries can be tagged for easy grouping.
• Entry dates are automatically added, but can be modified for both date and time.
• Weather temperatures and conditions are automatically added.
• You can have multiple journals. Personal, business, projects, organizations, etc.
• Activity tags like stationary, walking, running, biking, eating, etc.
• Step count (from iPhones)
• Music, or rather, what is playing on your Apple Music player (note that this is the only player supported) at the moment you made the entry.
• Entry URL lets you share this journal entry by providing the user with a link.
• Standard IOS sharing menu for sharing to Twitter, OneNote, Pocket, Facebook, Apple Notes, and dozens of other sharing apps. You can also save to Dropbox, copy, print, and view as a PDF.
• Organize entries by map location, date(s), and photos.
• Entry is synced over iCloud to all devices. Backup is daily and automatic. It is date and time stamped as well.
• Text styles, as well as, type formatting, lists (bullet and numbered), HTML view, and other styles.
• The Apple Watch is supported and journal entry is easy by using user defined “stock” entries, or voice dictation into the watch and even photo journal entries can be made using the watch.
• DAY ONE Journal 2 is available for IOS: $4.99, or the Mac: $29.99 – A reasonable price for pretty much the ultimate in journaling (“Say Hello To A Good Buy!”)
If you like journaling, this is the app you need. Start a journal entry on any device, and then edit and update the entry from any device, anywhere!
If you have a question or thought, post it in the comments section . Thanks for reading, come back soon! Best, Tom Gordon